Specializing in older newborn photography
When is the right time to do a newborn session?
~The best time is when you and your baby are back home and ready
Quints born premature.
Session done at 12 weeks old
I know the recommended time to do a newborn session is within the first 15 days of life. However, after doing exclusively newborn sessions for 14 years, I find that doing your session after 15 days old is not an issue; as a matter of fact it sometimes goes better since I am then working with a baby that has adjusted to his/her new environment. I can guarantee beautiful newborn images of babies up to 6 weeks old and if your baby was premature, I will do the session whenever he/she comes out of the hospital.
There are several different reasons to do a newborn session after 15 days of birth.
Here are some:
- Baby needs to have a really, really full tummy, so if you are a first-time mom and your milk has not come enough to fill up your baby’s tummy, it’s better to wait a few more days. When they are not really full, babies are more sensitive and wake up very easily after each pose.
- Baby was premature or there was a complication at delivery and he/she had to stay at the hospital for a few days or a few weeks. I will do the session whenever your little one is ready.
- You had your baby and it was an exhausting experience and you don’t have the energy to do the session within the first 2 weeks of life.
- You never thought you wanted to do a newborn session and never booked while you were pregnant. Your baby is here and now you realize you want to preserve these fleeting moments.
- You contacted me and I’m booked or traveling and I’m not able to do the session for at least 1 or 2 weeks. I can still get beautiful images at any age.
- For cultural reasons, customs are not compatible with doing the session within the first 15 days (e.g., the Chinese zuo yuezi tradition).
- Due to COVID-19 you couldn’t do your session because there was a stay-at-home order or you just wanted to wait so your baby would be older.
If you are planning on doing a session but you are worried about having to do it within 15 days after birth, please don’t worry! After over 12 years of experience, I am very skilled at posing babies of any age. Do I still recommend booking your session before your baby is born? Yes I do, because you never know how things will go and how you are going to feel. If everything goes well and you are ready we can do the session within 2 -3 weeks of age otherwise we’ll do the session later whenever you are both ready.